1120 Extension - Corporate Tax Extension Form 7004

Corporate tax returns

Corporation tax returns are due and payable on the 15th day of the fourth month after the end of the company's fiscal (financial) year (effective with 2016 tax returns), on Form 1120.

So, a corporation having December 31 as year end date must file and pay taxes by April 17.

S corporation tax returns

S corporations having December 31 as their year-end which coincides with the tax return due date of their owners, must file their Form 1120-S by March 15.

The Corporate tax extension Form 7004 provides you with 6 months extension to file your IRS income taxes. Most corporations operate on the calendar tax year. This means the original filing deadline is March 15 and the extended tax deadline is September 17.

The manner in which you file a corporate tax extension is based on where you live. Various states typically have different tax laws and procedures, and you have to meet the particular tax agency’s requirements that governs your area.

In most of the cases, filing a corporate tax extension consists of filling out forms, providing a reasonable cause for the extension, and submitting the form to the tax agency. In many places, you also need to send a payment for your estimated taxes. If you do not send a payment by the original IRS deadline, or your estimated payment is less than the amount you owe, you may face late fee and other penalties.

1120 Extension Due Date - Automatic Extension for C-Corporations and Entities

Automatic 6-month Extension

Applicable for 1120-S Corporations, C-Corporations and Entities with the tax year ending on December 31 / with the tax year ending on any month except June 30.

Automatic 7-month Extension

Applicable for C-Corporation and Entities with the tax year ending on June 30. (6-month extension if filing Form 1120-POL).

E-file your Corporate Tax Extension Form 7004 with 1120Extension.com

1120Extension.com is the best place for filing tax extension of your organization. We are an authorized IRS e-file provider, and our site is encrypted and secure. Our cloud-based system is easy to navigate and simple to use. Unlike in paper filing, you would receive a confirmation of your extension from the IRS in few moments when you use 1120Extension.

Learn More E-file Now

How to File 1120 Extension Form 7004 for Business Income Tax Return

Form 7004 is used to file for tax extension of corporations, S corporations, partnerships, and multiple-member LLC's filing as partnerships. For filing Form 7004, you need to enter the name, address and Tax Identifying number of your business.

Enter the code for the tax return you are preparing. The codes are listed below -

  • Form 1120 for corporations
  • Form 1120S for subchapter s-corporations

Steps to file 1120 Extension Form 7004 online

  • Create an Account or Sign In
  • Enter Basic Business Details such as Name, EIN, Address & Primary Contact
  • Select the Business Entity type & Form you want to file an extension for
  • If you owe the IRS money, you'll need to estimate the total income tax payment for the filing year
  • Review, Pay & Transmit to the IRS
E-file Now

File your 1120 extension from any mobile device.

File your 1120 extension from any mobile device while on the go. See how simple and easy it is to access your 1120 extension form from any device. Go ahead and download.


E-file your Form 7004 for $14.95 per return

E-file Now